Papers of S. S. Van Dine [manuscript] 1899-1978 (bulk 1899-1939)
Van Dine, S. S.
- 1563 items.
- Variant title
- S. S. Van Dine collection
- Finding aid note
- Guide available.
- The papers consist chiefly of correspondence with his first wife Katherine Belle Boynton Wright, his daughter Beverly Boynton Wright, and his mother Annie Van Vranken Wright.Correspondence mainly concerns family matters but there is some comment on his work as an art critic and detective novel writer, and particularly on his year as editor of "The Smart Set," 1913-1914.George Jean Nathan, H. L. Mencken, John Adams Thayer, Ben Heubsch, the New York Armory Show of 1913, and his brother, the painter Stanton Macdonald-Wright are mentioned.Of interest are letters from Jay Dinsmore describing Foochow, China in 1923, and a 1933 letter from Vienna regarding the rise of Hitler.The collection also contains drafts of poems, short stories and articles by Willard and Katherine Wright; a master's thesis "Willard Huntington Wright: aesthetic and critic" by Walter B. Crawford; and "Philo Vance: the life and times of S. S. Van Dine" by John Tuska;The collection also contains some printed material regarding Stanton Macdonald-Wright and synchromism in modern painting by Elizabeth Hertz; a transcript of Macdonald-Wright's European notebook.A few financial and legal papers, newsclippings, photographs, memorabilia and a memoir of her childhood by Beverley Wright complete the collection.
- Forms part of the Clifton Waller Barrett Library.
- Cited in
- National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United States, microfiche 4.19.1452.
- Cite as
- S. S. Van Dine Papers, 1899-1978, in the Clifton Waller Barrett Library, Accession #9701-a, Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
- Technical details