- Item Actions
Papers of Robert Whitehead [manuscript] 1830-1978, (bulk 1830-1839).
- Mixed Materials; Archive
- 114 items.
- Variant title
- Robert Whitehead papers
- Related title
- Bible records, Nelson County, Virginia, Whitehead and allied families...
- The first register which has been preserved in Nelson Parish... 1843-1870.
- The papers consist chiefly of letters, 1830-1839, to Robert Whitehead from former schoolmates at Augusta College, Augusta, Ky. The letters describe their homes, friends, professions, politics, and events in Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi and Wisconsin.Of interest are descriptions of college riots at Augusta and the University of Virginia, a cholera epidemic, comments on the Democrats, the Whigs and Van Buren, and mentions of Murel's conspiracy, 1835, and peace talks with Black Hawk and Keokuk.Other noted individuals mentioned include Henry Bidleman Bascom, John Chambers, Claudius Crozet, John Price Durbin, John Early, Landon Cabell Garland, Richard Mentor Johnson, Stephen Olin, and Henry A. Wise.In addition the collection contains a diary and transcription kept by Whitehead on his journey from Lovingston, Va., to Augusta, Ky., 1830, and copies of obituaries regarding him."Bible records, Nelson County, Virginia, Whitehead and allied families . . .," 1978, compiled by Ann Carter Whitehead Thomas and "The first register which has been preserved in Nelson Parish . . . 1843-1870," 1930s, copied by Sallie Carter Whitehead and typed and indexed by Mrs. Thomas are also included.
- Cite as
- Robert Whitehead Papers, 1830-1978, Accession #10520, Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
- Reproduction Notes
- Bible records, genealogical material and register are electrostatic copies.
- Location of originals
- Originals privately owned.
- Technical details